Family Heirloom Quilt

Have you ever found a new bedcover as comforting as an old quilt?  I haven't.  The soft cotton fabric, intricate texture and moderate weight make a quilt the timeless classic that often goes unappreciated in a household. 

My sweet mother-in-law told me she regretted using this pretty quilt until it showed wear.  She and my father-in-law received it as a newlywed gift.  By the time she passed it on to us, the fabric already had several worn spots.  I've displayed and stored the piece since it's come to our house.  The quilt is four generations older than my children, stitched by their Great-great-grandmother Clara. 

I found the name of the pattern in Maggie Malone's 5,500 Quilt Block Designs book.  She calls it "Postage Stamp Chipyard," and it's listed among the five patch patterns.  The quilt block includes 85 one-inch squares running diagonally.

Labels: , , , ,