What was I thinking when I put a delicate dress with an outer layer of tulle into the washing machine? I ended up ruining the outer layer of the dress I had made my oldest daughter for her first Christmas. It had gotten caught in the machine, and had multiple rips. I thought perhaps I could repair the tulle, but the more I tried, the worse it looked. I was relieved that I had just enough remnants to re-do a quick fix.
I absolutely did not want to take the waist seam apart, as this had multiple layers with extensive gathering. Instead, I folded the one remaining piece of white satin lengthwise, finished the ends, and slightly gathered it to the waist. I sewed it to the outside of the dress, leaving a raw edge at the top. This left no need for a hem. I'm not suggesting that you do this, but here's how I made it work.
I had just enough of the gorgeous gold-beaded ribbon trim to add a second row of it in front, covering the raw fabric edge. I had generous fabric in the attached tie sash, which I adjusted to cover the remaining raw edges at the sides and around the waist in the back. I topstitched that portion of the sash into place. I hand-trimmed the tulle so that little to none of it would peek out under the other skirt layer. The outer layer is not as full as I would like, but it's all the fabric I had.
Considering the circumstances, I'm thrilled with the results and am happy that my youngest daughter has been able to wear the dress now.
Labels: Scrappy Sprouts, sew, with our own hands