Fending off Squash Bugs - Round Two


Spray after spray of soapy water and scrape after scrape with a small, metallic yogurt top completed my latest humble gardening task.  I admire the determination of farmers who use organic methods on a larger scale, because it is undoubtedly hard work.  After several days of rain showers, when I lazily ignored the garden, the squash bugs turned the place into a love nest. They had been feasting on the plants, leaving some fruits too far gone.  I found several collections of squash bug eggs this time, plus I encountered groups of recently hatched nymphs.  I finally happened upon two large, adult bugs.  At that point I was too upset to stop and take their photo before doing away with them.  My job involved spraying the plants with the soapy water, then scraping off the eggs or smashing the bugs and throwing them into a plastic bag.  The University of Minnesota explains what squash bugs are and how to deal with them.  I fervently disagree with using insecticide, for personal reasons, even if I have reduced yields.

The good news is that several squash plants are still surviving and producing good squash.  That includes a few zucchini.  We've already grilled squash once this summer and plan to do so again for the holiday weekend.

Green beans have been a nice garden bonus.  They seem to need little to no maintenance, and the plants keep producing.

So far, we're eating everything straight from the garden without an overabundance.  I was hopeful enough about having extra that I recently attended Canning College.  Meet some wonderful folks who share an interest in preserving their own food -- on Monday and Tuesday at FlourSackMama.com!

Labels: , , , ,