Rural Ohio and WV Detour

The lovely photo I had planned from the Sistersville Ferry did not develop.  There would be no passage for my family on the day we visited.  The transmission was out, said the ladies at the diner next door.  Since the Fly, Ohio fixture was not anywhere to be seen, I spent several minutes answering my girls' questions about what exactly a ferry was.  Yes, it was a sort of boat, although they couldn't see it.  No, it was not an imaginary fairy from a story they might have read.
Luckily, we still had a few minutes to spare as we got directions from the locals and continued along State Highway 7 until we found a bridge that served our purpose.  Then, just one more call to the patient women in the front office of the Marble King factory, to ensure that we found our way.  The owner had graciously agreed to show me around her unique business that still employs more then two dozen local residents on the rural West Virginia side of the Ohio river.

Our little detour felt a lot like life, when as any busy parent knows, things don't always go as planned.  Sometimes, if I stop grumbling long enough to appreciate the beautiful day, things go even better.  I can't wait to share more about our trip to the marble factory, this week at FlourSackMama.com.

Labels: , , , , , ,