Treadle-Stitching Homemade Christmas Ornaments

I loved Donna Kohler's suggestion to make family members a keepsake with the treadle machine from my husband's side of the family. What a relief to finally get the Singer Redeye 66 working again so I could do that.




I started with some nostalgic fabric I thought my mother-in-law would like, and cut a heart shape out of it. 

I attached grosgrain ribbon for a hanger. 

Once I had stitched and turned the heart in preparation for stuffing it, I also top-stitched for a neater finish.  I stuffed the heart and top-stitched the opening. 


I was unhappy with some puckering where I had attached the ribbon, so I decided to add embellishment there.  I dug into the tin full of vintage buttons that had also come with the sewing machine until I found a couple that seemed perfect.   I hope she likes it.

Next, I'll be trying a star-shaped ornament for my father-in-law.  This bright blue is what I needed a new bobbin for. 

Labels: , , , , ,