Fresh Picked Kale Goes Crispy

Our family has found a new alternative to bagged chips, and this is a surprising one.  We picked, rinsed and baked kale chips for a Friday evening treat.

They suggested kale and gifted us the heirloom seeds from Sow True Seed in Asheville, North Carolina.  "Try kale chips," the representative cheerily told us.  I remember nodding and thinking that I'd humor her.
Organically Grown Kale
Then Mary Constantine from Stirring the Pot and Sisters of the Skillet just happened to have a popular Kale Chips recipe in the Sisters of the Skillet cookbook.  It seemed meant to be.
Rinsed Kale Coated with Seasoning Mixture
My oldest daughter and I absolutely loved the kale chips, while the other half of the family was still getting used to the idea.  The biggest challenge was getting the chips crisp enough without burning them.  I may even try my oven a few degrees hotter next time to see if I can get a crispier result.  The coating in the recipe is the perfect balance of sweet and tangy.  They really do taste like flavored chips and not at all like greens.
Crispy Kale Chips
Taste Better Than They Look
You can find the recipe along with a wide variety of hearty dishes in the Sisters of the Skillet cookbook, with proceeds going to a good cause.  You can read more about it on their website.