Letters for Our Children's Future

Are you one of those people who would rather not speak up and make a fuss about anything?  Me too. Peaceful, quiet, just want to please everyone.  I recently tried something civil, simple, and peaceful that has the potential to help save my children's future.  I wrote a letter to my US Senator.  That's all.  I just decided that I'm concerned enough about the safety of everyday products that my family and children use that I should speak up -- just a little.  Here's what I wrote:
************************************************************************************

October 27, 2011


Dear Senator Alexander,

Hello, my name is Anne Brock. I'm an East Tennessee stay-at-home mom with two young children. Like all parents who want a healthy start for their kids, I stay involved in their education, prepare wholesome meals and watch out for their safety. But there's one area where even the most informed parents have a big disadvantage, and that's why I'm writing you today.

The more I learn about the rise in chronic health problems like diabetes, cancer, asthma and learning disabilities, the more I have to wonder about my children's exposure to toxic chemicals. Since federal law hasn't kept pace with scientific findings, I worry about things like endocrine disruptors in common products. Substances should be properly tested and scrutinized before they can reach my children, not after they've had the chance to do harm.

As your constituent, I am urging you to please co-sponsor the Safe Chemicals Act (S.847). Thanks for your leadership in looking at common sense solutions that are good for families everywhere.

Sincerely,
Anne Brock

***************************************************************************************
Other parents speak out...

Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families...

If you want to learn more about the Safe Chemicals Act, here's a link to more information about it.

If you happen to live in Tennessee and would also like to write Senator Alexander to ask for his leadership, here's his website:  http://alexander.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=Email

If you live in another state, here is a link to find your Senators:  http://www.congress.org/

If you'd like to share your concerns with the Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families coalition of hundreds of health care, parenting, conservation and concerned citizen groups, you can contact lindsaydahl@saferchemicals.org.


Labels: ,